Monday, December 21, 2015

Monday December 21, 2015 Cello Dan by Walter Klingler (gourd mask)

Cello Dan
by
Walter Klingler
Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler, gourd mask

20"tall x 8"wide
This mask is made of gourd, stain, feathers, twine, stone beads, wood beads, bamboo, paper, and wood.


Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler
Last August, my son Dan came to Lynchburg to spend a well needed week of relaxation.


Dan liked the gourd masks I have been making and I told him to take one when he left for his trip back to Chicago.


Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler, gourd mask
As Dan was leaving he asked me if I would make a mask for him where I would be thinking of him as I made it.  I said I would as long as he came back to pick it up.

Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler, gourd mask
August came and went; September flew by.  I just couldn't come up with a creative idea for this mask.  My creative slump was driving me mad and I didn't know what to do about it.  
One day, like Archimedes, I had my EUREKA! moment.

Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler, gourd mask
Everything came together in my head, but I couldn't figure out how I was going to make the cello bridge.  The next day I was sitting in my doctor's office waiting for him to come in when my eyes noticed something which might fit my needs.

Cello Dan, Dan Klingler, Walter Klingler, gourd mask
As my visit was ending, I told my doctor I had a very odd request.  I explained what I was making, and asked for a few tongue depressors to carve as the cello bridge.  He was delighted to give me several as long as I showed him the finished piece.


And thus, Cello Dan was completed.

gourd mask, dan klingler, walter klingler, gourd art
Cello Dan for Dan Klingler




To view all of my gourd masks, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment